Tuesday 20 March 2012

Altruism

I saw in the paper today that altruism is good for you. Seemingly it's not just emotional satisfaction but physical as well.
It's meant to stimulate the production of the feel good chemicals such as brain opioids and oxytocin which play a role in our immune system.
Sorry Harvard never worked for me.
I have been quite altruistic lately for a friend and I've been more ill this winter than in years gone past with the exception of my stroke year!
I'm convinced I don't get happy endorphins even when I exercise or do good deeds. I do for a wee while, then it ceases.

I'm ticked off just now with something said to me today by a friend. Done some pretty good things for them recently and I feel I am being played. Don't know if by them or their roomie. Or aye it's both. Actually did tell them this, and I got told no just being honest etc and respected me etc, and all I could think of what a lot of crock.
Sorry but, where good friends are concerned I am never this cynical and with this friend I've not been till this week.
I'm miffed because I'm fussy with whom I get close to.
I've a small and very select bunch of friends. I like to keep them for life, though I know sometimes life gets in the way but, I've friends from primary 1 still.
I'm a private & quite secretive person, I am a true Scorpio ( still waters run deep and all that) so when I allow someone in I expect loyalty and feel that's not happening just who's, they ae only thinking of themselves and probably don't get why I feel frustrated by events, though they claim they do.
So the article made me go "aye right," or " no way Jose"
Weirdly this is the first time in months I've felt down like this and I am most annoyed by the fact I've let someone pierce the wall of ok ness I'd built. I've had fed up moments etc but today as the dog and I walked in the sunshine I felt despondent I felt I'd taken a giant leap backwards.
Don't like the feeling, I'd hoped as my black moods disappeared that they'd not come back, but that's what I get for thinking I'd it beat.
I'm hoping the dark cloud lifts quickly, but I now feel I must re evaluate my friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment