Saturday 7 July 2012

Wimbledon

Ok I am going to be on my soap box, you've been warned, so don't blame me if you think I've gone OTT , but I did warn you!
Why the urge to rant?
Something I've seen on some social media websites: wimbledon in particular Andy Murray.
On Facebook someone has asked people to click to agree with certain comments, the majority of it is sectarian I.e. anti Scots.
Seen the same re Andy on Twitter by some folk.
Made me think that what the hell has he done wrong?
Is he not allowed to be proud to be a Scot?
English tennis players or athletes don't have this double standards when the perform well.
Andy was born and raised in Dunblane and yes he's a sterotypical dour Scot.
Like all Scots he's proud of his Scottishness and why can't he be so?
Ten I got round to thinking, these numpties on Social Media have no case to call, if he wins tomorrow, I'm sure they will soon forget he's a Scot , when and if himself and his brother win a gold medal at the Olympics they will forget.
So why not just support him?
He's the first male in 78 years to get in the single finals!
We have another Brit in the double finals, but he's been kind of forgotten about. And yes I shall be cheering him on, like I did when Jamie Murray won the mixed doubles a few years ago.
There has been a common fallacy that us Scots hate the English... We don't really. Yes some might want indepence for various reasons ( I won't deny from the age of 8 I've wanted it, others in my family no) but yet we don't really hate our neighbours, I think we feel sorry for them because us Scots have a sense of identity , we know who we are, we as Scots, most of us mongrels , me Scots/ Irish/ Spanish , but my identity is scots and yes I don't support England in rugby or football but I do in Cricket, Rugby league, tennis , atheletics. But that's more to do with the personalities of the teams involved ( this year the rugby lot where quite like able). Is it that the English or I should say the minority English numpties that start this anti Scots rubbish are jealous? Jealous that for a small nation we've done a lot for the world? Small but beautifully formed? Lol
Come on folks, back Andy, the stress levels by media must be awful for him, shouldn't we just go whay in diamond jubilee year something good is happening at Wimbledon?
Get a life folks and enjoy the good, be it Scots , Irish , Welsh or English!
Come on Andy!

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to support him, had he not been such a bigot himself. I lived in Scotland for 15yrs, my daughter was born there, and I made many lovely friends, who still keep in touch and visit. However, me and my family both experienced racism in its worst form while we were there. Sheer hatred of my children, who were bullied and beaten up at school, just for being English and also name-calling etc to me and my husband. I liked Andy Murray, until I heard him say that he would rather hear that Scotland had lost at football, than hear that England had won. That brought back so many bad memories and I was disappointed to learn that he was 'one of those' . Such a shame, it's all so senseless.

    ReplyDelete